I can't contain my disdain any longer. I am so done with the "Got ___" campaign. Sure, "Got Milk" was cute in its inception 15 years ago. It's not so much the milk ad thing that incenses me, it's the myriad knock-offs that have cropped up. Not that these ubiquitous duplications are anything new, I just happened to see one the other day that was the proverbial straw that broke this camel's back. I was behind a local roofing company's truck and there it was, in HUGE vinyl letters on the back window.... "GOT ROOF." Got roof. No question mark. No nothing. The glaring lack of punctuation aside, the entire premise is preposterous. As a statement, it's stupid. As a question, it's stupid. As a whole, it's stupid. I suppose the whole slogan became such an ingrained part of our culture because you can add it to anything and have a ready made ad pitch. Daycare? Got Kids? Veterinarian? Got Pets? I get it, it's simple, it's to the point. But it's ANNOYING. Let's move on. It's poor grammar, people! Won't someone think of the children?/rant
No comments:
Post a Comment